Beware of Scams
You can take steps to protect your personal information and beware of fraudulent scams. Unfortunately, scammers and bad actors are always trying new ways to get access to personal information.
Some fraud attempts involve Caller ID spoofing phone numbers for legitimate businesses, or scammers call from other numbers claiming to be employees from various companies. For example, a scammer might call and claim to be from Centra’s Fraud Department. While on the phone, the scammers say that you’ll be receiving a text message about fraud on your debit card and advise you on how to respond.
Please know that our Team Members will never tell you how you should respond to a fraud text alert. If you receive one of these alerts, carefully review the purchase information and only reply ‘yes’ if you’re certain that you or your family made the purchase.
Centra will also never call you to ask for any personal information, including login information and card numbers. If you receive a call from someone who says they’re a Centra representative, and you weren’t expecting a call from us, please hang up and call us at 800-232-3642.
IF YOU EVER DOUBT THE VALIDITY OF A CALL FROM SOMEONE WHO SAYS THEY ARE A CENTRA REPRESENTATIVE, PLEASE HANG UP AND CALL US AT 800-232-3642.
Follow these tips to avoid falling victim to a scam:
• Verify the identity of any caller before sharing any personal information.
• Trust your instincts. If a call doesn’t seem quite right, hang up.
• If you suspect a call is fraudulent, don’t engage with the scammer. Some of these fraudsters are skilled at obtaining personal information, even if the victim is wary of the scammer.
• If you receive an unexpected email or text message, check the phone number or email address. If you don’t recognize the number or address, don’t click any links or respond.
• Some fraudulent emails try to mimic messages from well-known retailers and companies. Always check the sender’s email address and carefully look through the email for any typos or misspellings.
You can learn more about ways to protect your personal information and avoid scams on our Fraud Awareness page.