Use the link below to make a loan payment with a debit card. To pay from a bank account, please register for digital banking.
The Centra Foundation places a high value on education and the importance of individuals pursuing higher education opportunities. That’s why we offer scholarships for graduating high school seniors and adult students over the age of 22 who plan to attend a two- or four- year college, university, or technical/trade school.
The Centra Foundation would like to recognize Shirley Shea for her support of the Loretta M. Burd Adult Scholarship Program. We are very grateful for her continued support and are excited to have such a great community partner!
The 2024 Loretta M. Burd Scholarship applications will open January 8 to March 3.
Loretta M. Burd High School Scholarship
28 scholarships available
Every year, the Centra Foundation awards one $2,500 scholarship per Centra location to graduating high school seniors. Applications will be evaluated on the following criteria: academic achievements, school and community involvement, and a written essay related to financial literacy.
Loretta M. Burd Adult Scholarship
4 scholarships available
The Centra Foundation will award four $2,500 scholarships to adult students. Adult applicants must be at least 22 years of age and pursuing a graduate degree, undergraduate degree, or certification at an accredited college, university, or technical/trade school during the 2024 academic year.
Eligibility Requirements - all requirements must be met to qualify
High School Application
- Must be currently enrolled as a high school senior and graduating in 2024.
- Must be pursing an undergraduate degree or certification at an accredited college, university, or technical/trade school during the 2024 academic year.
- Enrolled in full or part-time classes at an accredited college, university, or technical/trade school for the fall 2024 semester.
- Applicant or the applicant’s parent or legal guardian must be a Member of Centra Credit Union with an active Centra account in good standing, as evidenced in recent transactions shown in account.
- Centra Credit Union Team Members, current Centra Credit Union Board and Supervisory Committee Members, and their immediate family members are not eligible to apply for this scholarship. These individuals are eligible to apply for the Centra Team Member Scholarship.
- Must be at least 22 years of age as of fall semester enrollment date of September 1, 2024.
- Applicant must be a Member of Centra Credit Union with an active Centra account in good standing, as evidenced in recent transactions shown in account.
- Must be pursing an undergraduate or graduate degree or certification at an accredited college, university, or technical/trade school during the 2024 academic year.
- Enrolled in full- or part-time classes at an accredited college, university, or technical/trade school for the fall 2024 semester.
- ALL PARTS OF THE APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED. By completing the Release/Consent section, the student and a parent (for high school application) have pledged that all the information in the application form is true and accurate. This section serves as a signature.
- A typed essay (see requirements below) must accompany the completed application. We recommend the applicant write the required essay in a Word document before completing the scholarship application form. The essay will need to be uploaded within the scholarship application and is only accepted in Word (.doc or .docx) or PDF format. Submitting your essay in any other file format will disqualify your application and it will not be reviewed.
- Completed applications and essays must be received electronically on or before March 3, 2024 at 11:59pm ET.
- Graduating high school students must obtain confirmation of grades and academic achievements from their guidance counselor. Academic information submitted by the guidance counselor must be received on or before March 10, 2024 at 11:59pm ET.
An essay written by the applicant must accompany the completed scholarship application and must meet the following criteria:
- The applicant’s name is required to be in the upper right-hand corner of the essay.
- The essay must be typed using an 11-point font and double-spaced on 8-1/2” x 11” paper with one-inch margins on all sides.
- The essay should be no longer than two pages and will focus on quality of content versus the length of the essay.
- The essay should be submitted in Word or PDF format only. Submitting your essay in any other file format will disqualify your application and it will not be reviewed.
2024 essay topic:
Centra has a vision of Creating Value for our Members, Team Members, and the Communities we serve. Explain how your financial knowledge creates value for your future. Share your top three financial goals and describe how you plan to achieve them. What impact will this have on you, your family, and/or your community?
- The Loretta M. Burd Scholarship awards are for tuition, books, and/or other fees and will be paid directly to the two- or four-year college, university, or technical/trade school in which each recipient is enrolled for the 2024 school year.
- All Centra Scholarship awards will be made in one disbursement and will be remitted to the Bursar’s or Financial Aid Office in June 2024.
- Each scholarship winner must submit proof of enrollment from their college, university, or technical/trade school and student ID prior to disbursement.
- If the student’s college or university has a dollar cap on the amount of scholarships they may receive for or apply to the fall 2024 semester, the student may apply their Loretta M. Burd Scholarship funds to the spring 2025 semester. If allowed by your college or university, the Loretta M. Burd Scholarship funds may also be used for essential school supplies, such as books, laptops, or lab/activity fees associated with courses.
- If recipient withdraws from enrollment during the course of the term, recipient may be required to reimburse Centra Foundation for any unused funds.
All winners will be selected and announced in April 2024.
2023 Scholarship Winners
See who received scholarships in 2023 here.