Have you ever thought to yourself, “Save? I don’t earn enough to save!”
If the answer is yes, it’s time to switch your thinking. If you don’t think you earn enough to save, you should be thinking you don’t earn enough not to save. It’s vital that you have some kind of an emergency fund for those unexpected expenses, especially if you don’t have much left over each month after you’ve covered your planned expenses.
Consider these six unexpected ways to save money and add to your savings each month:
- Sign up for Debit Card Round Up. Debit Card Round Up is a feature available on some Centra checking accounts that lets you “round up” the change on each debit card purchase to the nearest dollar. For example, if you purchase a tank of gas for $32.50, then $0.50 will be automatically transferred from your checking account to your Member Loyalty Account. That means you can easily save your spare change without having to think about it.
- Plan for sales. Cooking at home can help you save money, especially if you keep an eye on weekly sale ads. Take a look before you do your grocery shopping and plan your meals around what’s on sale.
- Ditch your cable. This shouldn’t require much explanation. Cable can get expensive when you factor in all the fees and taxes. Cutting the cord can help you save, but make sure you don’t stack so many streaming services that you’re paying just as much.
- Turn off your lights. Unplug your Keurig and your toaster. You might be surprised just how much these small energy-saving activities add up!
- Get creative for entertainment! It’s easy to go to a movie or a museum, but those things can get expensive. Get creative for entertainment and go on a scavenger hunt through the woods, have a picnic, or attend free community events. Cha-ching! Put that money you would have spent in your piggy bank (or savings account!).
- Watch gas prices and drive more intentionally. It might sound crazy, but driving like you’re gearing up for the Indy 500 can have a seriously negative impact on your gas mileage. Accelerate slowly and coast when you can to conserve gas. If you see gas for less than normal (yes, even if you’re at ¾ of a tank) go ahead and fill ‘er up! You never know when gas prices might spike again.
If you do these things this month, you’re sure to have at least a little left in your pocket to put in your savings account. You do earn enough to save, you just have to be intentional!
Need to open an account with us? Get started online or make an appointment at your nearest Centra location. We want to help!