The Centra Foundation places a high value on education and the importance of individuals pursuing higher education opportunities. That’s why we offer scholarships for graduating high school seniors and non-traditional students who plan to attend a two or four year college, university, or technical school.
Loretta M. Burd High School Scholarship
Every year, the Centra Foundation will award scholarships to graduating high school seniors. Applications will be evaluated on the following criteria; academic achievements, school and community involvement and a written essay related to financial literacy.
Loretta M. Burd Adult Scholarship
The Adult Scholarship is designed for adults over the age of 22 who have realized the importance of post-secondary education for their career and family.
We are excited to announce we will be offering one $2,500 High School Scholarship per Centra location, and two $2,500 adult scholarships, for a total of twenty three High School, and two adult scholarships in 2018.
- ALL PARTS OF THE APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED. By completing the Release/Consent section, the student and a parent (for high school application) have pledged that all the information in the application form is true and accurate. This section serves as a signature.
- A typed essay (see requirements below) must accompany the completed application. We recommend the applicant write the required essay in a Word document before completing the scholarship application. Essay will need to be uploaded within the Scholarship Application.
- Graduating high school students must have their High School Counselor complete this Verification Form before midnight on February 28, 2018.
- Completed applications and essays must also be received before midnight on February 28, 2018.
An essay written by the applicant must accompany the completed scholarship application and must meet the following criteria:
- The applicant’s name should be included in the upper right-hand corner of the essay.
- The essay must be typed using an 11 point font or larger and double-spaced on 8-1/2” x 11” paper with one-inch margins on all sides.
- The essay should be no longer than two pages.
- Applicants receiving other scholarships are still eligible to win a Loretta M. Burd Scholarship award.
- Applicants must be pursing an undergraduate degree or certification at an accredited college, university or technical school during the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Students must be enrolled in a part or full-time course of study for the Fall 2018 semester or be enrolled prior to summer (June 2018) disbursement.
- Must be a Centra Member with an account in good standing. Learn how you can become a Centra Member.
- Completed applications and essays must be submitted electronically through the Centra Foundation website before midnight on February 28, 2018.
- High School Guidance Counselor form must be submitted electronically through the Centra Foundation website before midnight on February 28, 2018.
- High School Scholarship applicants must be a graduating High School Senior.
- Adult Scholarship applicants must be at least 22 years of age.
- Centra Foundation and Centra Credit Union employees, Scholarship Committee officials and immediate family members are not eligible to receive scholarship awards.
- The Loretta M. Burd Scholarship awards are for tuition, books, and/or other fees and will be paid directly to the two or four year college, university, or technical school in which each winner is enrolled for the 2018-2019 school year.
- All Centra Scholarship awards will be made in one disbursement and will be remitted to the Bursar’s or Financial Aid Office.
- Each Centra Scholarship winner must submit proof of enrollment from his or her college, university, or technical school prior to disbursement.