A comfortable retirement doesn’t just happen; it requires a plan. That’s why if you think you’ll retire at some point in your life, (and you will) investing is right for you. How you invest, or where you invest, is the part that requires consideration.
One way you can invest is through an Individual Retirement Account, or more commonly called an IRA. Here’s why so many people decide an IRA is right for them:
- Almost anyone can contribute to an IRA. If you receive taxable income and are under the age of 70 ½, you’re eligible to contribute to a traditional IRA.
- You have flexibility to withdraw with a Roth IRA. With a traditional IRA, you’ll receive a 10% penalty on any amount you withdraw before age 59.5. However, you can withdraw your contributions from a Roth IRA at any time, for any reason.
- You can choose the funds you invest in. Though you should probably seek advice from your financial advisor, you can choose to invest your IRA contributions however you’d like. Whether you invest in higher risk funds or more conservative funds is up to you!
- There are major tax benefits to having a Roth IRA. With a Roth IRA, there is no up-front tax break, but you don’t have to pay tax on withdrawals in retirement.
- It’s just a good way to invest. You can (and should) contribute to the 401(k) your employer offers, especially if there’s a match option, but that alone may not be enough. Adding an IRA to your portfolio is a good way to diversify your savings and have even more available to you when it’s time for you to retire.
Do you think an IRA might be right for you? Want to learn more about how you can invest for retirement (or a child’s education)? A Centra Financial Services (CFS) Representative wants to talk to you! Make an appointment to mean with someone from CFS and get your plan started!
*Centra Financial Services, LLC Advisors are registered representatives of CUNA Brokerage Services, Inc. Securities sold, advisory services offered through CUNA Brokerage Services, Inc. (CBSI), member FINRA/SIPC, a registered broker/dealer and investment advisor. CBSI is under contract with the financial institution to make securities available to members.
Not NCUA/NCUSIF/FDIC insured, May Lose Value, No Financial Institution Guarantee. Not a deposit of any financial institution.
CBSI is a registered broker/dealer in all fifty states of the United States of America.